The seller was surprisingly helpful, especially when I noticed several large piles of 2' 10by lengths. He explained that a customer only wanted 8' lengths of lumber and since he generally imports 10' lengths or longer, he complied by removing 2 feet from several bundles and selling the shorter boards. These 2' lengths are great for the majority of the student projects that I teach and I got a substantial price discount on top of an already low price for imported lumber.
[replace lost text]
I hate having to use a VPN just to post on blogspot. It's a gamble to know whether the work has been truly saved or not. This is not the first time that I have returned to an incomplete essay only to discover much of it missing. I am not going to even try recovering what I had written. Here are some photos that were intended to accompany the lost essay.
|Loose knots replaced using Veritas tapered tenon makers and taper reamer|
|SPF compressable plug|
|defective board due to rotten interior branch|
|Standard pencil sharpener accepts 10mm dowels|
|Plugged board with discontinued Veritas plugging tool|
|Hide glue allows for reclamping in case of glue failure|
|Despite owning a plowplane, I more often use a tablesaw to cut grooves to accept bottoms. In this case a plowplane would have been ineffective.|
|Beginning to assemble a variation of the box on a box|
I played with several rope handles in my mind before committing to the present configuration. I decided that I could make the loops with SYP as long as the stock was thick enough and use sliding dovetails to attach it to a mullion but that required a denser wood. I had some maple on hand that served this function.
I panicked when I realized that my angle blocks for paring the sliding male section were not built the same thickness as for this new application. It then dawned on me that I could use the same blocks along with playing card shims in any variation, and not just to raise the stock pieces.
|Soon to be hidden wood screws|
I cut the sliding dovetails in both male and female sides, leaving a noticeable amount of travel to allow for compressing pine fibers and then I laid out and cut the profiles of the loops.
It was a challenge to find surface hinges for this project. I bought two sets in brass off Taobao, but in the end I chose some that can be still found readily at a B&Q. I soaked them a few days in citric acid to tone down the polish to a matte finish, learning through the process that stainless steel is not used consistently in their manufacture.
|Lid laminated with hide glue|
|Bottom compartment with two sliding tills|
|Upper box allowing access to one sliding tll|
The handle is made from a grommet of Manila rope that passes through the two loops. I attached two additional lengths of the same Manila rope to bulk up the handle before then attaching paracord coxcombing, finishing the ends with Turk's heads woggles woven in place.
|Easy access to sewing kit|
|The completed craft kit|