When I first purchased the plane I noticed a faint line along the bevel, which I have seen with other laminated blades and I had then always associated with high quality tools, usually from Japan. I thought I had gotten lucky with this example from Stanley. Did they go through a phase when they were short on steel and decided to go all Damascene? Somebody with more experience with Stanley types might be able to put a date to when this was manufactured based on the logo.
Originally I only tuned up the blade on some flat whetstones only as far as was necessary to get it working since it was out of square. That was before the woodshop got a Tormek and a benchgrinder. Not knowing what to do other than remove metal, I ground off the tip square on the grinding wheel after marking the back of the blade with permanent marker and scratching in a line.
|Ready for the grinding wheel|
|Ready for the Tormek|
Then it was simply a matter of mounting it to the proper Tormek holder, moistening the stonewheel, and then letting the machine do its work. And the result is sharp but the delamination line is still present.
I don't know whether this is stable now or whether this split is going to be problematic all the way back up to the chipbreaker screw hole. Hopefully this posting might generate some informative responses.